What is it?
The program uses a simple genetic algorithm to evolve random three-wheeled shapes into cars over generations; the terrain gets more complex with distance.
The code is on a GitHub repository
. Feel free to contribute!
Developed by WhileTrue
, heavily inspired by HTML5 Genetic Cars
- Speed up! (hide cars): Toggles drawing, makes the simulation faster
- New Population: Keeps the generated track and restarts the whole car population
- Create new world: The same string (seed) always creates the same track, so you can agree on a string with your friends and compete. :)
- Mutation rate: The chance that each gene in each individual will mutate to a random value when a new generation is born
- Mutation size: The range each gene can mutate into. Lower numbers mean the gene will have values closer to the original
- Floor: fixed or mutable for every next generation
- Gravity: our Earth is the default, but you can try it in another planets :)
- Elite: The top n cars that will be copied over to the next generation
- View top replay: Pause the current simulation and show the top performing car. Click again to resume simulation
- Red: Top score in each generation
- Green: Average of the top 10 cars in each generation
- Blue: Average of the entire generation
The genome consists of:
- Shape: (8 genes, 1 per vertex)
- Chassis density: (1 gene) darker body means denser chassis
- Wheel size: (3 genes, 1 per wheel)
- Wheel position: (3 genes, 1 per wheel)
- Wheel density: (3 genes, 1 per wheel) darker wheels mean denser wheels